Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My TEAL Experience

One week ago today Panthers for Planned Parenthood passed out cookies and teal ribbons for Ovarian Cancer Awareness Week. As Elyse mentioned earlier it went surprisingly well. I honestly did not expect to have the response that we did. Facing a big crowd like the lunch line in the FSC commons can be daunting but they were very receptive. I am not a shy person by any means but I guess I was afraid we would be bothering people when they just wanted to eat their lunches. But several people wanted to know why we were standing there with a whole bunch of teal and others wanted to know more about ovarian cancer. Although most of the guys were only interested in cookies, some women took handouts on the symptoms and almost everyone we asked took a ribbon. In all we passed out 75 regular ribbons and awesome sequined ribbons. I felt like even though our first event was super simple it was still effective, which is what really matters. I’m glad that we are off to such a good start and look forward to working with Planned Parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment