Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Juno It's Hump Day?

Hey toots! I see you’ve come across this blog, Panthers for Planned Parenthood; if you haven’t read anything previous, you probably have a few questions as to what we’re about.

First off, my name is Laura Harmon. Here at Drury University, I’m majoring in architecture and art history. I suppose you’re surprised I’m not majoring in feminism.

Segway.

Quite honestly, my interest in the Summit Park Leadership Community didn’t originate with the excitement of leadership opportunities and community involvement; it began with a classy little house just off campus, eight friends, and free laundry. But Summit has become so much more than this. Working in conjunction with Planned Parenthood means removing the social taboo associated with sexual health. I’m sure when you think of Planned Parenthood, you think abortion, but we’re staying clear of those messy political issues, which by the way, aren’t even provided in Springfield. Oh, the side effects of living in the “bible belt”...

Personally, I’ve never been all that comfortable with discussing, let alone preaching about sexual health. I think that my involvement in Panthers for Planned Parenthood will not only benefit the Drury community but will allow me to become more comfortable with being educated about sexual health and related issues.

Segway.

As my fellow homies, yes, they are my housemates, have previously mentioned, we had our first event last week. On Wednesday, the fifteen of September, we set up a station outside of the commons to spread awareness of Ovarian Cancer. We handed out flyers and encouraged everyone to wear our teal ribbons; and we drew them in with cookies. The ribbons were gone by 12:30, so I’d say the event was quite the success.



Last night we had our first official meeting with our lovely staff advisor, Dr. Erin Kenny. In planning upcoming events, we hope to garner even more support from the student body. We’ve decided to have a screening of the film Juno, hopefully on Wednesday 10 November, to inform about teen pregnancy. Yes, copious amounts of Twizzlers and SunnyD will be provided, along with some other undecided food selections. Brady and I proposed calling the event “Juno It’s Hump Day?” but the rest of the group doesn’t agree.

We’ve also started thinking about the social event we’re to host for the other members of Summit in February. Kenny suggested ballroom dancing, which could be quite fun. Classy dancing and possibly red velvet cupcakes…

Get excited,

Laura Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment