Monday, February 14, 2011

Vagina Monologues

This month we teamed up with the V Warriors to help make this year's Vagina Monologues a success with our very own Planned Parenthood table. We passed out condoms (as per usual), coupons, brochures, GYT stickers, and had a petition for free birth control on the table. What helped make our table different, however is the fact that we recently acquired designer condoms! They have unique pink designs on the packaging, and some of the condoms themselves are even pink-just in time for Valentine's Day! I enjoyed working the Vagina Monologue booth because the V Warriors are doing a very important thing for society, and I loved being a part of this very special program.

What accomplishments do you hope to see happen with your project over the course of this semester?

I hope to continue to bring Planned Parenthood events, information, and fun to the Drury students on campus. I also hope to change the mindset of the average Drury student that sex isn't something to take lightly. Protection is a must!

What has been the greatest experience this past month volunteering with the agency?

My greatest experience has been my only experience, Vagina Monologues. The women that perform are so dedicated, and the monologues range from funny to heart wrenching. I think what they do is so important to the betterment of women across America and throughout the world. Stories about women and their needs and experiences must be heard in order to equalize gender roles.

What has been your greatest challenge this past month volunteering with the agency?

The greatest challenge also came with Vagina Monologues. We had a petition for free birth control with no copay for all women as well as more sex education in public schools. Most people signed this petition willingly, but some people adamantly refused and said that they didn't agree with what the petition was doing. It was hard to at times take a defeat like that. However, overall the petition was a success.

Through the class this semester what is the one project or activity you are looking forward to the most?

I am looking forward to the tech free day because I feel it can be beneficial to myself as well as my peers. A day without technology will be tough for most of us, considering we were practically born with a computer and cell phone in our hands. I feel it will teach me that I do not need to be glued to my phone to survive.

How has this past semester made you a stronger leader and what leadership roles do you plan to take on this semester for your Summit Group?

I feel that my leadership role in this house is to be the voice of reason. At times issues may arise and opinions about events may clash. It is easy for me to step back, think about the situation, and tackle it from a different perspective. This will come in handy when deciding when and where to have events as well as carrying them out efficiently.


Yours,

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment