Monday, February 14, 2011

In the coming semester I hope to see Drury embrace our Planned Parenthood group. I hope that as a university we can stop being embarrassed about sexual responsibility. I want people to take it seriously and protect themselves and maybe learn something useful about their health.

In the past month I LOVED the Vagina Monologues. They were both entertaining and powerful. I left feeling empowered as a woman and more aware of issues such as domestic violence and forms of mutilation. I was glad that we as a Summit group got the opportunity to support the V-Warriors in their efforts to make our campus more socially aware. Also I appreciated that it gave our group a chance to get more signatures on the Birth Control Matters petition.

My greatest challenge volunteering with our agency this month was the time frame. Everything was put together last minute which was very stressful to all of us as a house. However, I think we did a great job pooling our resources and getting a few people at the event each night. In the future events will hopefully be planned out with more time leading up to them. This will allow us to really prepare for whatever it is that we need to be ready to do.

This semester I am really looking forward to doing the financial tracking. This is something I have been trying to do since I arrived at college and I haven’t been able to quite accomplish it. I like that we will be held accountable because that is not something I have been forced to do thus far, at least not in the financial aspect of my life.

Last semester helped me to grow as a leader by making me be involved outside of my studies. Not only have I become a better leader because I am in a clearly defined leadership position but also because I am forced to manage my time and to balance my life. I have to balance my volunteer work and class work without slacking on either side. I am held responsible for my actions by the seven other people in my house and this helps me to stay on track. As this semester progresses I hope to help everyone by planning events that are both fun and educational. I want to take my position as co-event coordinator and really use it to everyone’s advantage!!

I can't wait to see how this busy semester turns out!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment