Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wrap up!

This is the last blog blogged by blogger Elyse ever in the Panthers for Planned Parenthood blogsite. Enjoy.

1. In just a sentence describe your Summit Experience this past year?
My Summit experience this past year has been a trying, rewarding, and stressful event.

2. What aspects of Summit do you feel will be beneficial to you as you continue your Drury experience?
I feel that Summit will benefit me by giving me the gumption to be more outspoken, active, and more of an overall leader. This experience has made me more capable of standing up for what I believe in and not letting others make me feel guilty or wrong for doing so.

3. What was the greatest thing you learned from living in Summit Park?
The greatest thing I learned form living in Summit Park is the value of neighbors. I really enjoyed having neighbors and getting to know them. The Summit Park community is a pretty tight knit one, and it is comforting to know the people you live next to. The value of a community and neighborhood setting is widely unknown to Americans.

4. What impact do you feel you have made on the community along with your agency and why?
I feel the impact we have made on the community is giving people of all ages access to a safe sexual life. We have reduced the stigma of all kinds of birth controls, given sexual assault victims a voice, and spoken with many members of the Springfield community about sex education.

5. If you would have not had the chance to live in Summit, how would have this changed your experience at Drury?
This would have given me more free time, but it also would have taken away the chance to speak out and talk with community members. I have met some fantastic people through Planned Parenthood events and other events we have attended.

6. Looking back at the Summit Experience over the past year what would you have changed and why?
I would have had more on campus events the spring semester, as well as tried to get a table at events like Earth Day. This type of publicity allows for Drury students and faculty to see that Planned Parenthood is an active agency on campus.

7. What is some advice you would give to future Summit groups?
I would say communication is key. Get ahead during the beginning of the semester planning events and planning dates you most likely can attend. The later the semester gets, the more difficult it becomes to balance everything on your plate. Plan and budget your time very very wisely.

Don't forget to practice safe sexual health!

Peace, love, and Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment