Friday, December 10, 2010

Planned Parenthood and You

Yesterday I wrote an article to the News-Leader on behalf of the Planned Parenthood 'Birth Control Matters!' campaign, which is trying to establish a 'grassroots' sort of thing to have birth control included in the coverable treatments in the new healthcare laws. Nicely enough, my article was written because of an unaffiliated columnist who of his own volition wrote an article in support of the Birth Control Matters campaign tenets without knowing a single thing about the campaign. Awareness was raised.

The article-writing was a pretty decent experience. World AIDS Day was also fun as we had a Christmas tree covered in prophylactics. Perhaps the toughest was simply arranging times for meetings and such as all parties involved had very different and chock-full schedules.

In the next semester, I can see the group doing more 'big' events for holidays and causes like our Juno night and World AIDS Day stuff.

This semester has, if nothing else, taught me how to better function as a little cog in a group that is itself a little cog in a group that is itself a little cog in a group.
The highlight of Stress Free Now was probably the yoga classes. I enjoyed those heavily, though I could do without the daily 360-5 check-ins.
It's especially strange when meditation is required daily—I think putting a sort of schedule on something like meditation cheapens it.
I would suggest cutting down on the frequency of the 360-5 things.

Over break I have tentative plans to turn into a large slug thing, covered in mucus, that moves only a little and is only record-able with heartbeat monitors and accepts food through a proboscis.



No comments:

Post a Comment