Monday, December 6, 2010

Last blog of the 2010 year!
Events we participated in with Planned Parenthood are the Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month along with World Aids Day. We passed out teal ribbons along with information packets for the Ovarian Cancer Awareness. We also baked cookies and gave them out as well in order to remind everyone on campus to be aware of Ovarian Cancer. For World Aids Day we got a Christmas Tree and decorated it with reindeer ornaments that held condoms. We had information on how to be safe and also cards for people to sign and send to our Senator about sexual education in schools.
The best experiences I've had this semester are bonding with Drury students and teaching my fellow man about sexual responsibility and the importance of testing. I really enjoyed interacting with students on campus and sharing Planned Parenthood goals and causes. On the other hand there were some tough experiences as well. Mostly it was difficult getting started and being aware of how to help and how to market Planned Parenthood. We had some difficulty jumping into the semester, but once we had a few events under our belt it because much easier for us to coordinate.
Our group projects will become easier to handle and coordinate in this upcoming semester. I feel that we will continue to work well together and have interesting events planned. Also as time goes on more organizations seem to learn about what we are doing here at Drury and have approached us to join with them in a few events. If this continues to be the trend, we will be involved again in projects closely related to Planned Parenthood with other groups again next semester.
I have learned how to coordinate events as well as how to speak with others and talk with them about Planned Parenthood and all the events they have. It is also good for me to have to go up to people I do not know and start a conversation with them. It is not something I would normally do, so taking myself out of my normal comfort zone has been good for me.
I feel like the Stress Free Now Component is not something that needs to be continued with Summit students. We are all extremely busy and the Stress Free component seems to just be stressing us out even more. I really enjoyed all the activities but especially yoga and acupuncture.
What are you looking forward to over the winter break?
I am looking forward to not having classes, mainly. And also making money as I will be working most of my break.

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment