Thursday, November 18, 2010

Der Blog

Hiiiiii everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well, the weather is finally cold, I'm SO excited! This semester has been super stressful, busy, but also a lot of fun. We will be hosting one more really awesome event this semester, Juno night! It's going to be a really chill night on 29. November in Lay Auditorium at 6pm. Bring your friends and come out (literally) to hang out, watch Juno, get some kinky goodies, and some food and drank.
Now it's time for Q&A with me, courtesy of Andrew Wiemer:

What events have taken place at the agency you have volunteered and how have you assisted?
There are all types of different promotions and events Planned Parenthood hosts. We got to help with a few events like Ovarian Cancer Awareness month, there are also things like petitions, and more grassroots style events. I mainly help with advertising and getting the word out about our events to everyone that I know.
How do you feel your volunteerism is making an impact upon the agency thus far?
I definitely feel like volunteering with Planned Parenthood at Drury has helped to open up the topic of people using such services. Taking away the stigma attached was my ultimate goal.
Looking back over the semester so far what struggles have you encountered with the agency?
Definitely communication. Sometimes emails aren't answered, and this leads to less effective volunteering. As a busy individual, I rely heavily on email to communicate and keep progressing as a volunteer. When the emails aren't answered it makes it much more difficult to keep up with what is going on.
What is your experience like in Summit Park with your roommates and how have you interacted with the Summit community?
Summit is a really great social experience. Living with my roommates has been a relatively positive experience. I am fortunate to have great people in my house that I can go to for help and support. Summit socials are tons of fun! There was one last night at the C.A.R.E. house and it was really great to see everyone out even for a quick bite to eat and conversation.
How is the Stress Free and Wellness Experience going for you as we hit the midway mark?
I loved yoga, tai chi...not so much. But it is a great way to get to sample each type of activity. It definitely helps relieve some stress that everyday life tends to burden everyone with!

yours truly,

austin

No comments:

Post a Comment